Friday, July 2, 2010

Summertime and a new beginning

Well I didn't fall off the map here. I have just been hugely busy! For the first time in two years I don't have any idea what I weighed at the beginning of June. I do however know my weight at the beginning of this month. I am just not ready to say it yet though.

What I am ready to tell you though is that I have started a diet of my own making. I didn't say anything at first because I didn't want this to be something I was "going" to do! I wanted to actually do and know I could before I told anyone.

So here is what I have modified for myself. I have made a diet wherein I drink protein shakes and eat raw fruits and vegetables. It seems to be working just fine. I ha vent had any food cravings but my blood sugar is swooping around a bit. The trick is to fine tune things enough that my sugar stays stable.

I've been using premade protein drinks because at the beginning of the diet I just didn't want to deal with making my own. The problem with the premade shakes is that they contain way too much sugar for me. I found one with 27 grams of protein which was lovely but it had 18 grams of sugar. I just cant do that. I get immediately tired and absolutely could fall asleep on the spot.

The ones that work the best are the ones designed for the Atkins program; they are high in protein and very low in sugar. But even then my blood sugar waffles around. I know from past experiences that some of the dips in blood sugar are caused from changing my diet and cutting the calorie count. It happens every time. The only times I don't feel it are when I've fitfully started the Atkins diet. It has enough protein to hold my blood sugar at a stable level. I expect in a few more days I will level out. At any rate I have been having great success with this way of eating. I have decided I will continue it for 4 more weeks and see how it goes and so far I'm happy with it!

Today I have had 2 protein shakes, fresh peas from the garden, a salad, and a banana. Oh, of course, I have had my coffee. And yes, I need to make a little confession here, I had a fish stick. I was making fish sticks for the kids lunch and I broke one in half to see if it was done. Without even thinking I popped it in my mouth! It was done so what else was there to do with it! Well its hard to break old habits but I'm trying!

3 comments:

  1. Try reading Women Food and God. Dieting is obsessing about food: restricting to punish yourself, permitting treats because you deserve it for being "good", and continuously gaining and losing for life.
    That book is life-changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks B I'll do just that. I have been trying to find something to read to motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my personal experience losing weight always seeded like a punishment. I completely hated it but who doesn't?
    I finally took my first step and I started thinking in my new life change not really as a new diet. I lost all the baby weight and extra 8 pounds in 3 months. I was just making the right choices. I wish you a happy journey. Mine is still going. I feel this was not a matter of losing weight but also keeping it off.
    http://yourhealthierlife.info

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me on my journey! Your comment is appreciated!